Grand Union Canal, near Lapworth Warwickshire
Cottage near Fort William, Scotland
from the Coasts & Clouds series
The Hatton Locks are a flight of 21 locks on the Grand Union Canal in Hatton, Warwickshire, UK. The flight spans less than 2 miles (3.2 km) of canal, and has a total rise of 45 metres (148 ft).
The flight was opened in December 1799 on the Warwick and Birmingham Canal. In 1929, the canal was renamed as the Grand Union Canal (on unification of a number of operators) and the decision was made to widen the Hatton stretch. In order to accommodate traders with heavy cargos of coal, sugar, tea and spices up the flight, the locks were widened to 14 feet (4.3 m) – allowing navigation by industrial boats or two single narrowboats. The widening was completed in the mid-1930s using a workforce of 1,000, and the revolutionary concrete lock system was opened by Prince George, Duke of Kent.
Cottage Door in Oxford
(for the Legions of Door Whores – thank you Mike for a great collective description of those of us who photograph doors)
from Rediscovery and Reinterpretation