Yellow

Re-work of a previous post – not quite right, I think the sky is too bland?

Advertisements

20 Responses to “Yellow”

1. Chillbrook

Hi Adrian, You could try creating multiple differently exposed shots from your single exposure and merging them with Nik Software HDR pro (free trial available) or similar to see if you could bring some definition to the sky. As it is, I think the mono definitely worked better. I’ve had a few pictures recently where I’ve been shooting into the sun, it’s cloudy and that’s the view I want so I’ve gone ahead, but found the resulting white-out of the sky really frustrating. I guess a graduated filter might have helped but that means fumbling through the kit bag.. I’ve been able to bring a couple of them back using the method I’ve described. It’s a good composition and the rape is such a great colour it’s worth a try.

• adrianpym

I agree the B&W was better, but then I generally prefer B&W photography. I might have a look at the HDR trial, although that is always dangerous as I might have to invest on the full copy!!

2. allthingsboys

Have you tried a graduated ND filter? That might be the easiest cure… I like the software suggestion from Nikon though. I might try that.

3. Helen Cherry

Yes In definitely prefer this perspective Adrian.. but I do agree about the sky it’s just too bright in the middle.. How did it look in B&W ?

4. Jeremy

If you can fix the sky you will have a winner 🙂 a graduated filter in LR might do the trick

• adrianpym

Thanks Jeremy – might just have to do that. I’m sure PS has the same thing – just need to learn how to use it properly.

5. sayvan

Hi Adrian, I actually like this. I think the sky works great in contrast to the field and in particular the lone tree in the distance. Allows the true subject of the photo to stand out. I would not change a thing!

• adrianpym

Thank you Sayvan – I agree with you on the composition points, I just think it looks better in B&W than colour.

6. artblablablablog

i like all the yellow but I’d probably make the sky grey by selecting it and desaturating it. Maybe? I really like the photo though and I love it in yellow.

7. Helen Boyd

Hello, I like this shot there is a lot of texture in the rape and the soft sky is pleasing, nice stuff..

8. Adrian Lewis

Adrian, that’s beautiful! The tree way out there in the distance really does elevate this shot to great heights – it provides something for the eye to fix on to. Very beautiful – and excellent photography! Adrian

9. John Smith

Have just come to this after looking at the B/W versions, which are stronger, but this crop works better. The colour hides the forms and it doesn’t vary or desaturate off in the distance so it flattens the space. A field of rape seed is always difficult to capture unless its set against something else as a contrast. Go with your preferred mono, or if you work with layers, place the colour version behind the mono, blur it, and blend the two together so that the mono is the strongest. There are always more things to try out than time to do them in….
    Regards, John.

• adrianpym

Appreciate the tip John. Hadn’t thought of doing that! A also agree with you about there being more things to try than time to do them in – especially with PS.